Thursday, October 21, 2010

My mother-in-law was laid to rest today

Mrs. Harmon died on Monday and her funeral was today. She was the best mother-in-law, never interfered, I never had a problem with her. I knew her for over 31 years. I never knew anyone who could remember names and dates even many, MANY, years ago better than she did. She had nine children and could tell you in detail how each was born, what illnesses they had, everything about each one. Her obituary follows. Trouble is, they made a few mistakes. The newspaper left out one of her sons, David, and gave his wife to MY husband. We're talking about switching now. I think they are going to correct it in the paper, but I am not sure. Future genealogists will truly be confused about that one. It was great seeing Richard's family again, we don't see each other often enough.

Audrey Virginia Harmon
Audrey Virginia Harmon, 87, of Charleston went to be with the Lord October 18, 2010, at home, surrounded by her family.
She was a member of Calvary Church of the Nazarene.
Audrey was preceded in death by her husband, Daniel W. Harmon; son, Denver L. Harmon, and daughter-in-law, Judy Carol Harmon.
She is survived by her daughter, Lola Landers and her husband Robert of Sissonville; sons, James G. Harmon of Campbells Creek, Kenneth W. Harmon of Charleston, Danny K. Harmon of Sissonville, Richard Harmon and his wife Darlena of Sissonville, Larry Harmon and his wife Vonda of Sissonville, and Paul Harmon of Charleston; 11 grandchildren; five step-grandchildren; 11 great-grandchildren; sisters, Lynnie Fox of South Carolina, and Clara Haynes of Sissonville.
Funeral service will be held at 1 p.m. Thursday, October 21, 2010, at Calvary Church of the Nazarene, Charleston with the Rev. Edison W. Hager officiating. Burial will follow in Floral Hills Garden of Memories, Sissonville.
Visitation with the family was from 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at the church.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to the Calvary Church of the Nazarene, 1113 Lakewood Drive, Charleston, WV 25312.
Condolences may be sent by visiting www.longfisherfuneralhome.com.

1 comment:

  1. Debbie,

    That was really good of you to speak about Mrs. Harmon on your blog. I was told today, by Kenny, that the corrections will be in tomorrow's paper and that it was the Charleston Newspaper's mistake, not the funeral home. So lets keep our fingers crossed that the Newspaper gets it right after the "THIRD" time.

    I never knew until today how much I really loved and how much that I am going to miss Mrs. Harmon. She would call on our birthdays and all, want and beg us to come out and see her. And now I feel bad that we didn't do all those things that she really wanted. She is going to be really missed not only by her sisters, children, Grandchildren & Great-Grandchildren (who will be void of ever living and being here on earth as their Grandmother and Great-Grandmother.) I am going to miss her. I took it for granted that she will always be there. I never really thought about her one day passing away, because she was so full of LIFE and KNOWLEDGE. She was a wise woman. She will truly be missed by us all that really knew her and loved her as we did. She was the best Mother-In-Law all of us Daughter-In-Laws could ever have. She was blessed to have all of those boys and I used to tease her and tell her that she got cursed with a bunch of Daughter-In-Laws. But, she truly loved us all too. No matter what our faults was.

    Me, I am especailly going to miss calling her up anytime and asking about who came from where and about this person and that person on the Harmon / Whiting Family Tree. She would always answer my questions with the knowledge and memory she had about them all. She was amazing in the stories she would tell me and what she remembered.

    Anytime Debbie, that you are interested in adding to your family tree the Whiting / Harmon side of your husband's & children's progenitors. Just let me know. I have them traced back far. And I hope to go even father back with them as I do on all members of mine and Dave's Family Tree.

    I love you and Richard. I tell Dave all the time and I tell my Mom too that I just love Debbie. And I really do. I love my in laws, no matter of their faults and such. I try to over look that part and try to accept them for the way and who they are. We need to get together. The family needs to put their differences behind them and get along with each other and love each other like Mrs. Harmon wanted them to. Your son, Adam was right today about not being close to this side of this family and I am guilty too, Davy was raised like him too. I felt and could tell by Adam's sincerity in his voice when he said he regretted not knowing this side of the family. I learned today that he is a kind, and tender hearted young man. And that he is right.

    I am so sorry now that she is gone. I believe we are all feeling the same thing now. Especially her own children are feeling it harder. And her Grandchildren that knew her will remember her are feeling it harder too.

    I love you, my Sister-In-Law,

    Darlena

    ReplyDelete