Monday, October 15, 2012

King-size Pineapple Blossom Finished!

I have just this minute finished my big Pineapple Blossom quilt.  It is 110 inches square, which makes it generous king-size.  I have been working on this off and on for a couple of months now.  I made a throw-sized Pineapple Blossom for a class at work and then just kept on making blocks until I came up with the king.  I put a different border on this one.  I used the bonus half-square triangles from the blocks to go all around the quilt as the second border.  The first and third borders were a tone-on-tone black to frame all the different fabrics in the blocks.  It's funny but I make all these quilts out of my scrap bins but the bins never seem like there is anything missing.  This one won't get quilted probably until next month because my favorite long-arm quilter, Vonda Cochran, is going away on vacation.  That's ok, this can wait until she gets back.  I don't have any definite plans for it anyway.

I am looking for my next project so I can start cutting fabrics.  Bonnie Hunter's new book, String Fling, has a quilt pattern in it called Wild Child that features 4 1/2" string blocks surrounded by half-square triangles and it looks right up my alley.  I have been wanting to do a string project.  Strings are narrow strips of fabric pieced on paper or muslin.  I am using paper so I can remove it after I get the blocks made.  This is another project that can come straight out of my scrap bins. 

No comments:

Post a Comment